Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sunday Morning Crafting

Quite a few years ago, my husband (then boyfriend) bought me a Cricut Personal Cutting Machine. I was beside myself with happiness because I LOVE paper crafts. A couple of years ago, he bought me a few rolls of vinyl to use with the Cricut. (See how he is the most awesome husband ever?) At that time, I was new to using vinyl. However, after I learned how to use it with my machine, I have added several vinyl touches to projects. Today, I decided that the one corner of the living room wall was just too bare. It is the corner in which our cat tower sits, and the cats need a little something to jazz up their space. So, vinyl it is!



On the right is the finished the project on the wall. The size at which I cut my vinyl is limited, as I have the smaller version of the Cricut machine. I think it works perfectly for me.


First, I turned on my jams. You can't craft without music. It's the law.





Then I got started. I gathered my supplies: Cricut mat and tools, paper cutter, multi-pack of vinyl sheets that I scored at Michael's, vinyl transfer paper, and Cricut cartridge of choice (I used Sweethearts.)

I prepared my machine. I set the blade depth at 3, the blade pressure at 3, and the speed at 3 (or medium, depending on your machine). This will cut what is called a "kiss cut." It does not cut all the way through the vinyl backing; it just cuts through the vinyl itself. 



I also prepared my vinyl sheets, which came 12" by 12". My Cricut machine allows for paper no bigger than 6" by 12", so I cut the vinyl sheets accordingly. Place your vinyl sheet on your Cricut mat, with the backing intact and the vinyl facing up.


I started cutting! I chose the images I wanted to use, and the color of vinyl I wanted to use, and used the Cricut as I normally would.


After cutting the image, I peeled away the negative space. In other words, I peeled away the vinyl that did not have my image on it. I am a scrap-saver, so I was able to salvage the peeled away vinyl and I stuck it back onto the backing when I was done to save it to use another day. All you should have on your Cricut mat is your cut vinyl on its backing.


I cut the transfer paper to size (a little larger than my image.) I peeled its backing away, and placed it sticky side down on top of my image. I burnished the transfer paper to the vinyl image with a popsicle stick (you can use your finger, or even a ruler. Any way you choose, just make sure the vinyl is stuck to the transfer paper.) I peeled everything off of my Cricut mat, including the vinyl backing.





I cut the rest of my images, and to the living room I went! I peeled the vinyl backing off of the vinyl itself, and stuck the vinyl and transfer paper to the wall. I burnished it to the wall with my handy popsicle stick. My walls are textured, so I cursed the very ground they are built on. Then I got over it, and burnished some more. I peeled away the transfer paper with extra caution not to peel away the vinyl with it.





As I placed, burnished, cursed, and peeled, I was supervised by one of my dear cats, Onyx. He approved, so I finished the project under his watch.









I also typed up a little quote about the greatness of having pets, printed onto trendy Kraft paper, framed it in the frame my husband just went out to buy for me (again, awesome!), and hung it up to add a little something extra to the pet corner.



Until next time, happy vinyl cutting! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Love!! Cute cute cute!! Lol, I love how Onyx photobombed the pic. Cute idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Can't wait to play with mine! I'll have to come back here to see how you did it since I've never used it before!

    ReplyDelete